Thursday, February 26, 2009

Blooms Taxonomy

I feel like so much knowledge taught today is just surface knowledge. Rinse and repeat, memorize and regurgitate. At least that is the way things were mostly taught when I was in high school. There were a few professors that would dig for deeper answers. They were usually the English teachers and sometimes the social science ones too. When I got to college I don’t think I was totally prepared for the different types of questions that were awaiting me.

I wish that someone had introduced me blooms taxonomy at some earlier stage. If I could have carried this type of thinking over from high school and been familiar with this type of pyramid content, and the key word cues that come with it.

We talked a bit about this in class and a classmate Sarah made a great point. She said that this kind of learning could take place at any level. It depends on the subject content versus the age group. The example was teaching colors, in regards to a rainbow. As long as the students can evaluate something and apply that information to a different set of circumstances, then a higher level of learning is taking place. This kind of teaching and learning can take place at any level.

Another great example that was talked about was using this information that is already clearly laid out in a grading rubric. Key words and concepts can be targeted allowing for different points for different levels of thinking. All in all this is a great tool to have access to.

No comments:

Post a Comment