Wednesday, February 25, 2009

The Power is in the Point

This week we learned and explored PowerPoint. And I have used the program before, but my experience is admittedly limited. I know what the program is capable of doing, and I know how complex and deep this tool can get, but I have never moved far beyond the basic functions. One of the main reasons for this is that every time I sit down and begin a new project with PP, I seem to get lost in the seemingly infinite number of options that are available. I usually turn what should be a two-hour project, into something that takes an entire day.

I already know that this tool is going to be one of my main tools in the classroom. Again, I must be honest, spelling has never been my best subject area, so this will allow me remove some of those kinds of senseless errors before they actually take place. I also love the fact that I will not have to reinvent the wheel every year. I will make changes to the presentations over the years, but the main content can stay the same. One of the great things about teaching the social sciences is that the content changes very slowly. But at the same time I do not want to become one of those teachers that gets stuck doing the same thing year after year.

I think from a teacher’s point of view and a students point of view, there is so much that can be done with this tool. It is something that can hopefully be filled with new media to keep the students interest.

No comments:

Post a Comment