Monday, March 2, 2009

Excel in your classroom!

Fortunately or unfortunately for me, depending on how you look at it, I have spent a bit of time in the corporate world. And in this world, the software program Excel is as important as the air you breathe. So I have had a lot of exposure to this program and feel as though I am proficient in it. I am by no means an expert, but I can get by, and if I am not able to perform something, then I am usually pretty good at figuring it out with the ‘help’ tool. Much of what we talked about in class this week regarding Excel was review. But that’s not to say I didn’t get a lot out of it. This program is amazingly deep. There are so many options that are available that can be transferred to the classroom.

Regarding the classroom, I can guarantee that this program will play an important role in everything I do. From keeping track of attendance and grades to amassing large amounts of data for projects and quickly transferring it to an easily readable and presentable type of graph.

The article we read this week was trying to bang home the point that the internet can be a deep well of information if used properly, but it can also provide very misleading and even incorrect information if one is not very careful in doing a thorough check to see where it came from.

This isn’t just useful for students, but also teachers. It can make for a very embarrassing day if you were to provide incorrect info to your students and then got called out on it. So BEWARE!!

No comments:

Post a Comment