Saturday, January 24, 2009

A New Path

I learned some amazing things this week. I learned that I love being in an education environment. I love being back in school. Throughout much of my life, in high school and even into college, I did not like being in school and the education process at all. It never came easy to me, and to be honest, at that time I was not one for hard work. But being back in school, after being away from it for the last four and a half years, I have come to a greater realization.
In my time away from school I learned the value and satisfaction of hard work and the completion of a task. Be it saving enough money to pay for a 7 month trip to South America or taking part in a 5 hour, 32 mile, outrigger canoe paddle race from Catalina Island to Newport Beach.

Coming to the decision to pursue a career as an educator did not come easy. A great deal of thought and deliberation went into it. But being on the CSUSM campus all week, and partaking in my classes, I know now that I have made the right decision. I am excited to use the lessons I learned the first time around in college, and apply them to the way I will do things in this program. But I am most excited to using my life lessons to try and help shape students into hard working, well rounded, socially conscious, educated individuals. It is just the beginning of this journey, but I am excited to be on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment